3 Secrets to Cooking with Coconut Oil
When it comes to cooking, coconut oil is probably one of the most popular oils. Sad to say, it isn’t always available to use. Aside from that, it has been demonized in so many ways because of its saturated fat content. Nevertheless, we can’t deny that it has become an essential ingredient in the kitchen.
So how do you reap the benefits and take advantage of coconut oil? Here are 3 secrets you should know.
1. Store it properly.
Although cooking with coco oil is like that of cooking with vegetable oil, the way it is stored somewhat varies. It must be done so that recipes can take advantage of its rich and subtle flavor.
In a hot and warm day, this oil can be a bit messy. And if you store it in the fridge, it could harden quickly, making it difficult to use when cooking. When stored at room temperature, coco oil can last up to 2 years before it becomes stale. The only thing you must ensure is to avoid exposing it to direct sunlight.
2. It is the best cooking oil.
Regardless if you’re baking or frying, it is recommended to use refined coconut oil because it can withstand high temperatures up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. For instance, choose Coco Treasure Unrefined Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. It isn’t just natural. It is also USDA Certified Organic and gluten-free.
3. Cook the right way with coconut oil.
If you are still exploring the right ways to use coconut oil in cooking, here are things you must know.
- You must know that if you add this oil to cold ingredients like butter, milk, and eggs, it will quickly harden. Thus, make sure you combine it with ingredients that have been allowed to stay at room temperature.
- This oil is best used at a ratio of 1:1 like vegetable oil and butter.
- You can find pre-measured coco oil baking sticks at the grocery. Use it in recipes that call for a solid coconut oil.
Knowing these three secrets should make cooking with coconut oil fun and easy. Then again, don’t limit yourself to facts you just knew. Be creative and you’ll see that coconut oil can do more than what you think.