What comes to mind first when we say Indian cuisine? Curry, right? Even if you haven’t been to India, for sure, you probably have an idea about how it takes. Say, you’ve eaten it at authentic Indian restaurants in the city or your Indian friend prepared it for a special celebration.
Well, regardless of where you’ve tasted it, we’re pretty sure you loved its unique coconut-ty taste. And like you, we did like it, too. That is why we got so inspired to give it a unique twist.
Since we want it to be heart healthy, we’ve added a bit of tomato sauce in it. Do not worry. This is very easy to prepare. Promise, the result is a sumptuous chicken curry dish with bursting flavors of coconut-tomato, which your entire family will enjoy.
To start, here’s what you need.
- ½ onion, sliced thinly
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 oz.)
- 1 can dice tomato (14.5 oz.)
- 1 can coconut milk (14 oz.)
- 1 ½ tbsp. Coco Treasure Unrefined Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, melted
- 2 lbs. chicken breast, skinless and cut into chunks
- 2 tbsps. Curry powder
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and sliced
- 3 tbsps. Coco Treasure Organic Coconut Sugar
- 3 pcs. potatoes, cut into chunks
- In a large bowl, prepare the chicken chunks. Season them with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, mix the melted coconut oil and the curry powder. Set aside.
- Heat a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. And then, put the curry oil mixture. Leave for at least one minute.
- Sauté the onions and garlic for one minute.
- Add the chicken breast chunks and toss gently to evenly coat with the curry oil.
- Put the potato chunks.
- Slowly reduce the heat from high to medium. Let the ingredients cook for up to 10 minutes or until the chicken meat is cooked and the juices run clear.
- Add the diced tomatoes, coconut milk, tomato sauce, and the sugar. Mix together.
- Cover the ingredients and let them simmer for about 40 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally.
- Your Chicken Curry with Tomato Sauce and Coconut Milk is now ready to serve. Enjoy eating over rice!
Useful Cooking Tips:
If you think there is too much sauce in your curry, simmer it longer until you reach the desired amount of sauce. Also, you can add other vegetables that you like, such as broccoli and cauliflower. If you ever decide to add tofu, we suggest you bake it first. Adding raw tofu will only soak up the liquid. By baking it first, you are improving its texture. Your curry will become more nutritious with the addition of healthier ingredients.
Now, how do you want us to describe this Chicken curry recipe? Well, we think words are not enough to describe it. It’s simply warm, satisfying, healthy, rich, packed with nutrients, perfectly sweet, and indeed satisfying!
Did you try this recipe, too? Let us know how your curry tasted by commenting below.