Every year, I always look forward to this season – summer. For me, it doesn’t only allow me to spend some time at the beach. It also gives me all the time to enjoy my favorite treats. One of these treats is ice cream.
Available in many different flavors, ice cream never fails to satisfy our sweet and cold cravings during the hot summer days. It’s just like heaven in one cone! However, with all the variety of flavorful ice cream flavors to choose from, which one is the best?
If you would ask me that question, I’d say Homemade Coconut Ice Cream. I don’t know. This ice cream flavor just brings me a unique kind of joy. I am not really sure how to explain it’s goodness, but I can tell you how to make it. Here’s a simple coconut ice cream you can make at home.
What You Need
- ¾ cup Coco Treasure Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1 can coconut cream (14 oz.)
- 1 cup sweetened coconut (shredded or flaked)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup coconut milk (light)
- 1 cup half-and-half (You can find this in your local grocery store.)
- 6 large egg yolks
How to Prepare
1. In one large bowl, add the sugar and eggs and whisk together until you achieve a light and fluffy texture. Set aside.
2. In a medium-sized saucepan, heat the coconut meat over medium heat, continuously stirring it until it turns brown. Do not let it burn.
3. Add the coconut cream, coconut milk, the heavy cream, and the half-and-half to the coconut meat. Let them simmer. When it begins to boil, turn off the heat.
4. Now, pour the hot mixture into the egg yolk. While pouring, be sure to whisk constantly. Once enough heat is added into the yolks, put the mixture back into medium heat, stirring continuously until it thickens. This should only take around 5 minutes.
5. Pour the hot mixture into a container. Place the container over a bowl of ice and mix occasionally to let the mixture absorb the coldness.
6. When the heat has dissipated, refrigerate the custard mixture for at least an hour.
7. Transfer the custard to an ice cream maker. Finally, freeze until firm, usually around 4 hours.
8. Serve cold in a sugar cone or in a mug.
Important Tips to Take into Consideration
To know if the ice cream is ready to eat, use a regular spoon to scoop. If it sits up without sliding, then consider it ready. Also, do not leave your ice cream mixture in the freezer for too long. You don’t want your ice cream to become icy and airy when frozen.
Because this homemade coconut ice cream recipe is so good, versatile, smooth, and delicious, you might want to double the ingredients to make more of it. Ahhhh, the thought of preparing it brings back some good memories!
Would you be making it at home? If you are, then let us know how it goes. Share with us how your Homemade Coconut Ice Cream went. We’d be very happy to hear from you!