A Simple Crisp Coconut Shrimp Recipe
Having spent several years in the Philippines, I got to experience what it’s like living in a country blessed with tropical and aquatic resources. At that time, I got nothing to ask for. From fruits to fresh fish, everything was there.
It is for that reason why this recipe was conceived. The Philippines is blessed with so many coconuts and aquatic products. So, as a self-confessed lover of coconuts and shrimps, I decided to do a bit of experimentation.
Although this is just a very simple recipe, the sweetness of the shrimp and the unique coconutty flavor of coconuts make a perfect combination with the chili sauce. Also, because the shrimps are baked, that only means it is a lighter alternative to typical calorie-rich dishes.
Here’s what you need:
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Coco Treasure Unrefined Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 cup sweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 cup panko
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
- 2 large eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- sweet chili sauce
- Take a rimmed baking sheet and like it with parchment paper. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and adjust the rack to the middle.
- In a medium-sized frying pan, toast the panko and coconut oil over medium heat. Do this for about 1 minute or until golden brown. Allow to cool in a shallow bowl.
- When the panko has cooled, add the shredded coconut. Mix.
- Combine the flour and paprika in a shallow dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until it becomes foamy.
- Take the shrimp and season it with salt and pepper.
- Dredge the shrimp in the flour mixture. And then, dip it into the whisked egg. Lastly, coat it with the panko and coconut mixture.
- Arrange the shrimp in one layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for at least 8 minutes. Turn once and bake for another 8 minutes. Be sure the coconut flakes and the shrimp are properly cooked.
- Serve with hot with sweet chili sauce.
Have you noticed? This dish involves the use of many coconut products. Of course, they are not just personal favorites. My reason is that they are packed with lots of nutrients. Below are some of the benefits it offers:
- It supports our immune system.
- It is a great source of energy.
- It betters digestion and improves the absorption of vitamins, minerals, and other essential nutrients.
- It promotes weight loss.
- It keeps you looking young and healthy.
- It protects the kidney and the heart.
- It removes free radicals from the body.
Now, if you are a lover of coconuts and shrimps like me, I am 100% sure you will love this recipe. Serve it for dinner or devour them for snacks. Either way, it won’t disappoint. And if you are allergic to shrimps, you can consider using other fish in place for shrimps. You better opt for what’s safe.
We’d love to hear from you, too. Tell us how your dish went by commenting below!