After a series of trials and errors in the kitchen, I was finally able to create a gluten-free dessert! When I say gluten-free dessert, I meant a sweet treat that is free of milk and eggs. Okay, now you might be wondering how on earth could a dessert be free of eggs or milk?
Despite not using eggs or even milk, by looking at the ingredients, I was pretty confident that my dessert would come up perfect. In fact, I knew it was going to be more than perfect! While preparing the ingredients, I was already imagining a moist chocolate cupcake topped with coconut icing.
Anyway, enough of my crazy pre-baking imaginations. Here’s my recipe. Hope you enjoy these cupcakes as much as I did!
Ingredients for the icing:
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes (toasted)
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- ¾ cup Coco Treasure Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil (melted)
- 2 tbsps. almond milk
- 3 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
- In a bowl, combine the melted coconut oil with the almond extract using a hand mixer or a wooden spoon.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar. Mix until combined.
- And then, gradually beat in the almond milk until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Set aside. Take note that the icing might not be as fluffy as other frostings that use butter. Hence, you might want to consider this ahead.
Ingredients for the cupcakes:
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1/3 Coco Treasure Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil (melted)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 ¼ cup gluten-free flour mix
- 2 tbsps. ground flax seeds
- Before anything else, put a wire rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Next, use paper liners and line 12 standard-sized muffin cups.
- After that, in a large bowl, dissolve the ground flax seeds with warm water. Set aside for 10 minutes to gel.
- Mix the apple cider vinegar with the almond milk in a separate bowl. Set aside for a couple of minutes.
- In another mixing bowl, sift the dry ingredients together – sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly whisk the coconut oil and almond extract to the almond milk and apple cider vinegar mixture. Along with the gelled ground flax seeds and warm water, stir into the dry ingredients.
- Beat the mixture continuously for at least one minute.
- Divide the mixture evenly into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for at least 20 minutes. Set aside and let the cupcakes cool completely.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, get the coconut icing you prepared ahead. Frost the cupcakes.
- Finally, serve with coconut flakes on top.
How’s this recipe for a gluten-free dessert? I bet you too are shocked how easy this is! Share with me how your baking session went. Are your Vegan Chocolate Coconut-ty Cupcakes chocolatey? Or are they coconut-ty? Whatever the taste is, I know you enjoyed it.
Also, if you have any other questions about my recipe, please do not hesitate to ask. I can share some useful baking tips if you’d want to!